Vegetable Sushi Rolls
Servings 2 people
- 2 Nori sheets Toasted
- 2 Cups Cooked brown rice
- 1 Carrot Cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 Cucumber Cut into matchsticks
- 12 Tofu matchstick pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Mirin
- 1 Tablespoon Shoyu
- 2 Tablespoons Finely grated ginger
- 1 Handful Black sesame seeds Toasted
- Prepare all the vegetables.
- Once you have the carrot & tofu cut into matchsticks bring a pan of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the carrot and tofu matchsticks for 5 minutes until nice and soft. Remove from the water and allow to dry.
- Place a nori sheet with the shiny part on the outside and the lined part facing up on a sushi mat.
- Wet your hands and take a handful of the brown rice (the water on your hands prevents the rice from sticking).
- Line the nori sheet with brown rice pressing the rice firmly onto the sheet.
- You want to cover all of the nori sheet with brown rice apart from 1.5cms at the edge furthest away from you where you should leave a strip of nori so that sushi roll can be fixed in place when you come to rolling it.
- Once the nori sheet is mostly covered in brown rice, sprinkle the rice with a little mirin. Be careful not to make the rice too wet.
- Place the matchsticks horizontally along the nori sheet about 1 inch from the side nearest you. You want to add a trio of cucumber, carrot & tofu.
- Once the whole length of the nori sheet is covered in matchsticks it's time to roll.
- Begin with the near edge of the mat. Roll up the sushi into a cylinder making sure you have a tight and firm roll.
- Open the sushi mat and dab the unsealed edge with water (you can just use your hands, dip them in water and then run your fingers along the edge).
- Roll the sushi forward to the seal and press firmly.
- Allow the sushi roll to sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting into sushi rolls with a sharp wet knife.
Make a dipping sauce by mixing the shoyu with 2 tablespoons of water and ginger juice from the finely grated ginger.