Rice & vegetables salad with great sauce
- Organic Basmati rice
- Red pepper
- Spring onions
- Sweet potato
- Organic cold pressed Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Lemon juice
- Umeboshi paste
- White Miso
- Rice vinegar
- Apple juice concentrate
- Cook rice with pinch salt.
- Cut veg into matching pieces the size of a grape. Into a saucepan of hot oil and water, put onion, pepper, celery, sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, pinch salt. Cook and turn regularly until soft.
- Steam broccoli separately and put to one side. Cut spring onion and put to one side. Gradually add to the mix of all the sauce ingredients in surabachi or mortar & pestle, and taste until just right.
- When the rice has cooked until all the liquid has gone, turn it into a ceramic dish straight away to let the steam out and air in. This keeps the rice sweet and it separates in a good way.
- Add all the vegetables described above. Mix gently with a wooden spoon. This is much kinder to the food than a metal spoon.
- Make the sauce by adding each ingredient slowly and tasting to get the right flavour for the rice and veg. Add sauce and mix again. It is ready to serve.
Variations: Add chopped roasted walnuts or sunflower seeds, sultana’s, or even small pieces of beautifully pan fried tofu or tempeh. Eat fresh - next day it can be fried and add lemon juice & parsley.