Pan-fried Tempeh with Stir-fried Vegetables
Tempeh is a healthy, traditional protein-rich food made from fermented soybeans. It is both nourishing and delicious when cooked in a broth with soy sauce, ginger and herbs and can be made extra rich and tasty by pan-frying at the end of cooking. Combined with colourful stir-fried vegetables, this can be a great plant-based protein dish for a seasonal celebration this winter.
Servings 2 people
- 1 block Tempeh fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp Shoyu or Tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cold pressed Sesame oil
- 1 piece smallof Kombu sea vegetable
- Knob of Ginger sliced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 cups Water
- 1 large Carrot
- ¼ Cabbage
- 2 stalks Celery
- ½ red Bell pepper
- 1 handful Rocket
- Seasonings to taste
- If using frozen tempeh, defrost overnight.
- Cut the block of tempeh into 12 equal slices and place in a shallow frying pan (large enough for each piece to be sitting on the flat of the pan). Cover with the water, and add the shoyu or tamari, kombu sea vegetable, ginger slices and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover with a tight lid and simmer for 10 -15 min on a very low heat. Turn all the tempeh pieces so the other sides can cook in the broth. If it is drying out add a little more water and cook for a further 10-15 min. By the end of the cooking time all the broth will have been absorbed into the tempeh. Be careful not to let it burn. Remove the tempeh slices and set aside to cool.
- The tempeh pieces can then be pan fried in 1 tbsp sesame oil for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Place on paper towel and put aside.
- Slice all the vegetables into matchsticks, keeping them separate. Place 1 tbsp sesame oil into a wok or frying pan and heat. Add each vegetable in turn, starting with the one that takes longest to cook (carrot) and finish with the rocket which does not need cooking; add some pinches of sea salt while cooking, When the veggies are cooked but still crunchy they can be seasoned with to taste with shoyu, mirin or ginger juice.
- Add the tempeh pieces to the stir-fried veggies and serve straight away.