Something that often gets overlooked when we think of how to contribute to a sustainable world is what we are feeding our gorgeous dogs. In the past, most dogs were given table scraps and sometimes a rice porridge with chicken. In wealthy homes, dogs were fed a nutritious stew of grains, vegetables, and meats. However, since the 1950’s and as a result of clever marketing, kibble has become the main source of dog food. To such a degree that owners cannot imagine feeding them anything else. Sadly feeding kibble is similar to humans eating the same junk food at every meal. As well as being very harmful indeed to the health of our beloved animals, kibble production is also hurting the environment. It is estimated that pet food is responsable for a ¼ of the environmental impact of meat production with regards to use of land, water, fossil fuels, phosphates and pesticides. The dogs suffer and the vet bills are high.
Here are some of the benefits of home-cooking for both dogs and their owners.
For the Owners
- Gives you complete control over what ingredients go into your dog’s meals.
- You can offer a variety of grains, beans, and veggies to suit your dog’s needs.
- You decide what proteins to feed your dog.
- Provides balanced meals that are packed with nutrient-rich ingredients.
- Includes foods that are seasonal, fresh, living and come straight from the fields.
- Adds your own loving touch and good intentions into your dog’s food.
- Lowers the cost of your dog’s food.
For Our Gorgeous Dogs
- More energy.
- Glossy coat.
- Healthy skin.
- Bright, sparkling eyes.
- Improved quality of life.
- Fewer trips to the vet.
- Improved digestion.
- Fewer allergies and ear problems.
- Calmer and more relaxed.
- Prevention from risk of disease.
Many people who have started cooking for their dogs have said how much they love that their dogs are eating almost the same food as they do. Some have even enjoyed the recipes in Wag Our Tails for themselves!
Wag Our Tails also contains fascinating information about foods that have a warming or cooling affect, amazing superfoods, the use of essential oils, the benefits of acupuncture, dog communication and meal plans.
And when we nourish our wonderful dogs with fresh, local and home cooked foods we are helping to lower that carbon paw print which means a win win for all.