Tofu and Vegetable Kebabs (makes 12)
These kebabs make an attractive centrepiece for any picnic or party. Combining protein-rich tofu (or you could also use tempeh) and a variety of colourful and tasty vegetables, they make a meal in themselves. Serve with some warm pitta bread and a ginger dip sauce.
- 12 wooden kebab skewers
- 1 block fresh firm tofu
- 2 large red onions
- ¼ butternut squash or sweet pumpkin
- 1 head of broccoli
- 12 small mushrooms
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp shoyu
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 Tbs tamari
- 1 Tbs mirin or rice syrup
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of chili powder or a small sliced fresh chili
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbs water
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients. Cut the tofu into 12 cubes and blanch in boiling water for 1 min. Drain and dry and place in the marinade for 2 hours, turning from time to time.
- Slice squash, onions and red pepper into bite-sized chunks, add the mushrooms, oil, shoyu and mirin and bake slowly in the oven (gas mark7) until the vegetables become very sweet (45min --1 hour), turning from time to time.
- Cut the broccoli into florets and blanch in boiling water for 2-3 min, keeping the bright green colour. Drain and cool quickly in cold, salted water.
- Place one piece of each type of vegetable and 1 piece of tofu onto each kebab stick.