Christmas Sprouts with Walnuts
Servings 6 people
- 3 handfuls Brussel sprouts
- 2 handfuls whole Walnuts
- Sea salt
- 1 Red pepper
- 100 g Tofu
- Rice vinegar
- Olive oil
- Take each sprout and remove any damaged leaf but keep as much dark green as possible. Remove a tiny slice off the base and cut a cross there. As Grandma said, this makes all the difference for cooking evenly.
- Bring medium pan of salted water to boil, in with the sprouts and simmer about 5 min. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain off all water, and rest on a dry cloth.
- Meanwhile, wash the walnuts, dry in clean towel then dry roast in frying pan, shaking often so not to catch, for approx 4 min.
- Cut red pepper and tofu into shapes no bigger than the sprouts. Simmer for 5 min in the sprout water with sprinkle of shoyu. Remove and dry.
- Mix sprouts, nuts and the pepper/tofu mix together in wide dish.
- Heat ½ cup of the cooking water in a saucepan, season with rice vinegar, olive oil and shoyu to taste. Mix kuzu to a paste with a little cold water, add into cooking water and keep stirring until you have a clear golden colour. Spoon this glaze over the vegetables before serving.
We like a few organic black olives with this dish too.