Azevias of chickpeas
Portuguese Christmas Desert
For the dough:
- 0,5 kg Wheat flour without yeast -
- Grape seed oil or other oil - 1 dl
- 1 orange zest
- 2 or 3 oranges for juice, depending on their size
- 1 pinch of Salt
For the filling:
- 250 gr of maple syrup
- 125 gr of water
- 250 gr of chickpeas already cooked
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Lemon zest
- Oil to fry
- Cinnamon for sprinkling
- Start with the dough: In a large pot add the flour and make a hole in the middle. Heat the oil and include it in the middle of the flour. Knead both gently.
- Then, add the orange juice, the orange zest and the sal. Mix everything until the dough doesn't hold to your hands – if necessary, add more orange juice or more flour.
- Cover with a cling cloth and put the preparation in the fridge for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling: Blend the chickpeas previously cooked.
- Then, in a small pot, include the water, the maple syrup, the zest of the lemon and the cinnamon. After heating this preparation, add the blended chickpeas and mix everything until it becomes homogeneous.
- Adding the feeling to the dough: Sprinkle the kitchen countertop with flour and flatten the dough very thinly with a rolling pin. If necessary, divide the dough in small parts and flatten them in separate.
- With the dough are thin, marc circles in it using a bowl upside down.
- Include one soup spoon of the filling in the centre of each circle of the dough and then close it, by folding the dough over in order to make a pastry.
- Deep fry in a pot with hot oil (traditional way) or cook them in the oven, 170°, until they become crunchy.
- Use paper to take off the excess oil.
- Add cinnamon on the top.