Tasty Beetroot Spread
As we go into late summer it is good to use more round and root vegetables and sweet tasting foods. Beetroots are sweet, delicious and packed full of health giving properties! They are an excellent source of vitamin C, good carbohydrate, rich in fibre and important minerals such as potassium and iron. They are also a source of betaine, a type of antioxidant that’s evident in their rich, red-coloured roots which lowers blood pressure and contributes to a healthy heart. This tasty spread can be used as a topping for pasta, or with sourdough bread, wraps or your favourite veg sticks.
- 3 Large Beetroots washed and cooked until soft (or bought ready cooked)
- 2 Onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- Fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tbsp Coconut yoghurt (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee the diced onions and garlic in 1 teaspoon of olive oil until soft and transparent.
- Roughly chop the beetroots and blend together with the cooked onion in a food processor, adding lemon juice, olive oil, cider vinegar, thyme and tahini (and coconut yogurt if using). Blend until smooth – if necessary add a little of the beetroot cooking water (or other veg stock) to make it blend more smoothly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.