Strawberry Summer Dessert
This refreshing summer desert is wonderfully cooling! It combines the great taste of fresh strawberries and apple juice with the mineral and nutrient rich benefits of sea vegetable agar gelling agent. The result is a vegan jelly that looks and tastes great and is good for us too! It can be served with a cashew cream topping or other tasty non-dairy topping. It is surprisingly simple to make, just be sure that it is fully set before you eat it! This recipe makes a softer consistency - for a more firm one you can follow the same instructions but leave out the kuzu/ arrowroot.
Servings 8 people
- 1 Litre Fresh apple juice
- 3 Tablespoons Aga agar flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Maple syrup (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Kuzu or arrowroot starch
- 1 Punnet Strawberries washed, stems removed and halved
- 1 Pinch Sea salt
- Heat half the apple juice and when almost boiling, add agar flakes, whisk or stir well and allow to simmer for one or two minutes.
- Meanwhile dissolve the kuzu or arrowroot into a few spoons of the remaining apple juice and mix into a smooth paste.
- Add to the pan with the juice and agar, again stirring well.
- Add remaining apple juice and a small pinch of sea salt, the maple syrup (if used) and the strawberry halves.
- Leave in a cool place or refrigerate until completely set.
- Decorate with fresh mint leaves.