Quick Noodles in Broth
Noodles in a shoyu broth with cooked vegetables and tofu is one of the best and most satisfying quick meals.
Servings 2 people
- 1 packet Noodles eg udon or soba
- 6 cups Water
- 2 inch piece Kombu sea vegetable
- 3 Shitake dried mushrooms
- slices Squash or pumpkin
- slices Carrot
- slices Daikon Radish
- slices Bok choy
- slices Broccoli
- 1/2 cake Fresh tofu cut in cubes
- 1 tbs Finely grated fresh ginger or small amount of chilli
- 1 sheet toasted nori sea vegetable torn into small pieces
- Shuyu soy sauce, mirim (optional) a few drops of toasted sesame oil
- Chopped spring onion for garnish
- Cook the noodles in plenty of water (al dente), rinse in cold water and put to one side.
- At the same time, put the 6 cups of water, the kombu and shitake mushrooms in a second pan and bring to a boil. Add the pieces of sliced vegetables and simmer for 5 to 8 mins. Add the tofu cubes for the last few mins of cooking.
- Remove the kombu and shitake and add seasonings (shoyu, ginger juice or chilli, mirim, toasted sesame oil) to taste.
- Place portions of noodles in bowls and ladle over the broth, vegetables and tofu. Garnish with the toasted nori and spring onion slices.
You can use any of the great dried noodles: udon, soba or ramen, or even fresh noodles if they are available. We need to make the broth delicious by making a tasty stock first of all and then adding the cooked noodles and cooked vegetable pieces of our choice and some fresh tofu, or natto, and spicy garnish. It can be done in 10 minutes!