Pinto Bean and Vegetable Stew
Beans are a great way to source plant protein, fibre and vitamins in our daily eating throughout the year, and when they are cooked with veg and complementary seasonings they are delicious and satisfying. This is an easy recipe and can be made more quickly by using canned beans (always buy organic), although home cooked tastes better!
- 300 g dried Pinto beans
- 1 inch Kombu sea vegetable
- 2 Onions diced
- 2 cloves Garlic diced
- 2 Carrots medium, diced
- Sea salt
- 1/2 Bell Pepper diced
- 4 stalks Celery diced
- 1 tsp Fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tbsp Barley or rice miso
- Parsley small bunch finely chopped
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- Soak overnight the dried Pinto beans plus 1 inch kombu sea vegetable, then cook them with 5 cups of water until soft.
- Sautee the onion in the oil until transparent, add garlic and then carrots with a pinch of sea salt and sautee for 3 mins. Add bell pepper and sautee another 3 mins.
- Combine the vegetables with the cooked beans and their liquid and bring to a boil adding celery, and the fresh or dried thyme. Simmer for 10 - 15 mins until vegetables are tender.
- Mix the miso with some of the bean liquid and add into the beans. Cook for a further 5 mins, stirring occasionally. .
- Mix in chopped parsley before serving with whole grain and greens, or in a wrap with salad
You can vary which vegetables you use: here we are using onions and carrots for sweetness, bell pepper, celery, thyme and parsley for a fresh spring taste and miso for savoury richness.