Creamy Pumpkin Soup
One of the glorious things about autumn food is that it is pumpkin time! With so many ultra sweet and dense-fleshed varieties to choose from - Hokkaido, Red Kurri, Kabocha, Crown Prince, Hungarian Blue - making delicious, sweet soup with them often is a great idea. Here is a simple recipe with only a few ingredients. Feel free to add your own favourite herbs for a different accent. This one uses fresh rosemary, but you could use fresh ginger slices for a more pungent taste, or any other chosen ingredient.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 3 people
- 1/2 sweet pumpkin medium sized
- 2 white onions
- 1 inch Kombu
- 5 cups Filtered water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or herb salt to taste
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup oat or other grain or nut milk (optional)
- Slice the onions finely. Bring the water to a boil with the kombu and add the sliced onion.
- Remove the seeds and skin (if it is thick) from the pumpkin and cut into bite size pieces. Add to the pot and simmer with salt for 15 – 20 mins.
- Remove the kombu and add the rosemary and simmer for another 5 mins.
- Remove rosemary and blend until smooth, adding oat milk if used. Stir in olive oil before serving.