Fermented Beetroot with Ginger and Orange
Fermented beetroot is a traditional food of Eastern Europe. This recipe pairs the classic root vegetable with ginger and orange. You may prefer to use other flavours….experiment!
- Vegetable starter culture Use 1 tbsp whey, liquid from a previous vegetable ferment or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Rice syrup
- 6 Medium beetroots Trimmed, peeled and sliced in ½ cm rounds
- 2 CM Ginger Peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 Medium Orange Zest only
- 2 Tablespoons Pickling spice Cinnamon, mustard seed, allspice berries, cloves, black peppercorns etc.
- 1 Pinch Sea salt
- Dissolve vegetable starter culture into ½ cup filtered water and whisk in rice syrup until the thoroughly incorporated into the water. Allow the starter to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Toss together beetroot, ginger, orange zest and pickling spice in a mixing bowl. Layer this mixture into a mason jar.
- Cover veg with the starter culture, adding filtered water with2% sea salt dissolved into it. The vegetables should be completely submerged them beneath the liquid. Weigh the veg down so they rest below the level of liquid. Allow to ferment at room temperature for 3 to 7 days before transferring to the refrigerator.