Immune Boosting Mixed Vegatable Sauerkraut
This simple recipe is packed with great, healthy probiotics that energize the body, boost immunity and are wonderful for gut microbiome.
- 3 cups cabbage finely sliced
- 2 whole cabbage leaves
- 1 beetroot grated
- 1 carrot grated
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 heaping teaspoon sea salt
- Place the cabbage, beetroot, carrot and onion into a bowl.
- Add the sea salt and mix well. Lightly massage the salt into the vegetables. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Add the caraway seeds, garlic and ginger and mix well.
- Place a place and a weight (such as a jug of water) on top of the vegetables. Leave to sit for at least 2 hours or until the liquid is released and covers the vegetables.
- Place the vegetables and the liquid into a clear mason jar. Pack the vegetables well into the jar with a wooden spoon. Leave a small space at the top of the jar.
- Place the two cabbage leaves on top and push the vegetables down again. The liquid should cover the vegetables at all times.
- Secure with a lid and place in a cool, dark spot in your kitchen for 3-5 days. Once fermented you can remove the whole cabbage leaves.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy as a delicious addition to any meal.