- This event has passed.
Strengthening Your Immune System.
April 21, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm£95
Four evening live online classes on Tuesday evening: April 21st, 28th May 5th and 12th
The present coronavirus epidemic is focusing minds on the strength of our immune system, but how much do we know about our own immune system? What weakens our immune system, and how we can enhance it so it better protects us from infections?
Oriental medicine and its detailed understanding of how particular foods and activities affect our body’s defenses throws a lot of light on what we can do to help ourselves, and western medicine is also revealing some simple ways we can get our immune system working better.
Strengthening all aspects of your immune system
While taking a particular food or supplement may have a small effect, the truth is that our immune system depends on a number of the body’s organs and systems being healthy and well. This course is going to look at how you can strengthen your immune system in all of these parts of the body.
The course is in four parts, looking at different body organs and systems that contribute to a strong immune system. We will begin with the lungs, which are the first barrier to air born infections like colds, flu and the new coronavirus. The second part looks at our digestive system which is the barrier to food and water born infections, and then onto the lymphatic system and the lymph nodes which clean body fluids, and lastly the white blood cells and other factors that fight infections and protect our bodies.
CLASS 1. INTRODUCTION AND STRENGTHENING THE LUNGS
- Overview of the whole immune system
- External barriers – skin and mucus membranes of the nose, sinuses, lungs and intestines
- Internal protection – the lymphatic system and immune cells
- How the lungs work in western and Oriental medicine
- What weakens the Lungs and our immunity
- How to strengthen our lungs through food and exercises
CLASS 2. THE INTESTINES AND GUT BIOME
- How the intestines function
- The importance of the microbiome or gut microorganisms in our immunity
- What weakens the intestines and their immunity
- How to develop healthy digestion and strong gut immunity
- Making simple brine pickles at home as an excellent probiotic
- Using fermented foods in your cooking and meals
CLASS 3. THE LYMPHATIC SYSTEM
- How the lymphatic system and its lymph nodes (often called ‘glands’) clean the body and destroy foreign invaders
- What harms this system and reduces its capacity for protecting the body
- How to eat to have a healthy lymphatic system
- Exercises to support and help your lymph flow
CLASS 4. CELLULAR IMMUNITY AND THE KIDNEY ENERGY
- Cellular immunity – how it functions in simple terms
- What weakens the white blood cells and cellular immunity
- The foods and lifestyle habits that strengthen your cellular immune system
- In Oriental medicine, how to cultivate strong Kidney Ki which underlies a strong immune system
How Online Courses Work Practically
When you book a course you will be emailed a set of course notes and a link to put into your computer or other devices in your search engine. Each class will be recorded so you can re-watch it later, or if you miss a class you can watch it at another convenient time.
These courses will be live just as if you were together in a room. We use video conferencing so that the teacher and everyone on a course can see each other and speak to the group. So you can ask questions and at times we may have discussions in a group between all participants.
To join these courses you will need a computer or other device and be in a place with a reasonable strength broadband internet connection. When you have signed up for a course, you will be sent a link to put into your search engine to connect you to the Zoom video conferencing. You will have to follow a few steps to register with Zoom (no cost involved) and then you are in!
The first class of all courses will start 15 minutes early – if you have not used Zoom before please join at the beginning of this 15 minutes to give you time to join the meeting and sort out any glitches. If you have problems, please email or ring the school so we can help you get connected. We have run a number of online courses before and most people find it a simple process to join. If you are very new to this, you could register with Zoom beforehand, and read more on how it works.
Our Plant-Based Cookery Course
The Strengthening Our Immune System course looks at the theory of how our body works and how we can create a strong immune system. You may also want to take the Healthy Plant-Based Cooking course to help you turn the theory into practice in creating meals that really support your immune system.
The cost of this course is £95, payable below. This includes the four 1 hour classes and a full set of course notes and useful recipes, along with practical steps for you to do at home. You will also receive a recording of all the classes to watch again, or if you had to miss a class.